Sunday, March 22, 2015

Getting Brainy in Minnesota

Some events are just so overwhelming that you have to process them before you can actually write about them.  This weekend was one of those events.

I went to the first Purple Day Walk for Epilepsy & Brain Games! It was emotional and amazing and crazy and just so beyond expectations I am having a hard time putting it all in to words!

Soooo cool, right?

The walk was held at Minnesota's famed Mall of America, which is just GIANT and an amazing venue for the walk. Everything was purple. Cassidy, the fantastic founder of Purple Day and special guest for the walk, has always talked about just wanting to see everything purple and I think we accomplished that. You could hardly see another color around!

It started in the morning with a PURPLE carpet and professional pictures - my husband and I jumped in on that action!

I know, we ARE adorbs.

And then, I was SO blessed to finally meet the fantastic women from the Anita Kaufmann Foundation that I have been working with for the past 5 years - Debbie and Ann Marie. They are the driving forces behind Purple Day here in the U.S. and let me tell you - meeting them was a huge thrill! For every question I have, for every time I'm stuck, for every single thing I need they are there for me...I couldn't thank them more!

Me and Debbie - can I bottle her energy?!? (Oh and a couple of Purple friends!)

Ann Marie - 1,000 hugs can't thank her enough!

Then Cassidy arrived with her mom, Angela, and they gave a moving speech which started the waterworks - Jeff called it that I would cry! But, truly having everyone all together made me realize what I am working for, why I am here, why I am walking, and how far we have come. 

Cassidy - what an inspiration!

After the walk, I was so happy to connect with so many others who share a similar story to mine - either advocates or who have Epilepsy or have loved ones who do. Our connections are so strong and we all want the same thing - the lingering stigma to go away. But, days like this make me feel like anything is possible. :)

Miles walked: 380
Awareness Raised: More than I can count!


1 comment:

Mom said...

I walked 68 miles in March