Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Why am I doing this (aka "Why you so cray cray??")

So, now that I am 20 days and 65 miles (!) in to this, I am the first to admit that it is an ambitious goal. First, it is COLD in Chicago and getting outside to move is haaaaaaaard. Second, getting steps/miles inside is much more difficult than you think. Third, sometimes I am just lazy. (You heard it here first.)

But, I am committed.  This will be done. 2,015 miles in 2015. All to raise awareness for Epilepsy.

Why?

Well, for almost 20 years I have been living with Epilepsy and I think that living silent with this disease gets nothing accomplished.  The more we raise or voices (or move our feet) to get the word out - the more people know about it and the more action happens and the closer we get to a CURE!

I was 17 years old when I had the "diagnosis" second seizure and it was in a pretty public out there forum - the football field of my Senior year Homecoming game specifically - my world could have ended there.  But, I decided instead to use that moment as a platform to educate and change the negative myths and misconceptions out there about myself and the other 50 million other people living with Epilepsy.

So, if anyone out there wants to join this crazy crusade of miles, education, and humor - let me know in the comments below.  Negativity doesn't belong here - positive we stand strong. :)

She has no idea her world is about to change on a football field

No comments: