Thursday, February 5, 2015

Seizure-a-versaries and celebrating the little things

February is an emotional month for me...February 21st is my seizure-a-versary.  For those of you who have Epilepsy or who have a loved one who has it, you know what I am talking about...it's the day that I wait for every year, the day I can say I have made it another year seizure free.

This year - if I am lucky enough - it will be 14 years since my last seizure.

It was February 21st, 2001 and I was a Senior in college.  I had just secured a job in broadcasting and I was moving to California right after graduation.  My roommate and I were celebrating my job by doing some retail-therapy at the mall and I hit the ground hard in a 5-minute tonic-clonic seizure.  Since, I was stupidly also chewing gum at the time, my breathing was cut off.  My roommate's mom retrieved the gum and was able to revive my breathing before paramedics arrived - I think about her all the time.

I think about that seizure all February long.  I think about it with every step I take towards 2,015 miles.

So, tell me - who are you walking for?  What seizure-a-versary is this?  In life, we have the celebrate the little things, so whether it's 3 weeks or 13 years...EMBRACE IT!

Celebrating 13 years in Disney - Hubby told me not to get used to that!

TOTAL MILES: 130

1 comment:

Mom said...

To all those Moms out there who constantly watch their child...looking for the first signs of a seizure...you know all about these milestone dates. I am so grateful the medicine has worked to help her lead a "normal" life, and realize the importance of continued research to help those not as fortunate.